The Institute of Metallurgical and Foundry Engineering keeps active connections with the industrial and scientific professionals. You can chek our accomplished projects hereunder.Researches of Chemical Metallurgy
Alcoa is the world’s leading producer of primary- and fabricated aluminum and the world’s largest user of bauxite. In addition to the creation of modern day aluminum industry, over the past 125 years, Alcoa innovation have stood behind the all important milestone in aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation, consumer electronics and industrial and commercial markets. Also developed expertise in special fields of industry such as the production of light metals and titanium, nickel-based superalloys. What is more, generates rolled products, extruded hard metal alloys and forged products, such as Alcoa® wheels, fastening systems, precision- and aircraft castings and distributed systems architecture. Alcoa bought a majority stake in Székesfehérvár Alloy Plant in 1993, now is a full owner since 1996.
The team of Prof. Dr. Thomas Kekesi has done investigations and research several times in the plant of Székesfehérvár.
The very first research topic was in connection with the cleanness of the melt. The research was designed to optimize the degassing equipment in order to achieve maximum efficiency. The modell of degasing have been investigated in industrial circumstances in a framework of a new R&D project. The following research work was much more comprehensive.
Our three-man team investigated the production for more than a month of operation, sometimes in 24-hour shifts. The aim was to set up a full material balance for the melting process. The extraordinary research requested significant contribution from the operating specialists, as well. We had to know precisely the wight of different types of waste being melted, and the weight of alloyers and smelting slag formers. We attempted to determine the amount of residual melt after tapping with a laser based technique.We specified the metal content of Al-alloy drosses in order
to more precisely estimate the so-called ‘sunburn’ loss at the end of the whole material balance.
The evaluation of the collected data has been continued in our institute. The results are well matched to the operating practices and useful for the correct operation of the furnaces. In the Next project we collected slags arising form the melting of different types of alloys, which were treated in our laboratories. We have developed a method to determine the metal content of slags resulting from aluminum smelting. We determined the described the mechanism of slag formation and revealed correspondances between the operation, the slag formation and the metal loss. We made proposals for the Alcoa-Köfém Ltd. based on our results of slag treatment expreiments to become more economical.
Onritran project in the framework of program Baross
„A project for developing and optimizing a method to process and purify tin arising from soldering waste.”
ID: REG_EM_KFI_09 (2009)
Research riport of “ONRITRAN” (in Hungarian)
International field days for the graduating students, PhD students and entrant engineers of the Materials Science and Engineering faculty of the University of Miskolc. (LEOBFREI)
The aim was to give opportunity for the the graduating students, PhD students and entrant engineers of the Materials Science and Engineering faculty of the University of Miskolc to gain international experiences relevant to their stuides and future work.
Disposal of industrial dusts and other materials considered as hazardous waste, and the possiblities of their utilization. (PORHATOR)
A detailed description is available here. (in Hungarian)
Researches of iron and steel metallurgy
- A study for helping DUNAFERR Ltd. in realizing an import strategy for iron ores.
- Metallurgical properties of iron sinters and the operation of the blast furnace in the function of basicity.
- Investigation of basic iron sinters’ metallurgical properties produced by DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- The effect of the limestone content of the blast furnace mixture to the energy consumption and the possible price-, enegy-, and coke-savings arising from its substitution.
- Investigation of the reactivity and strength of the blast furnace coke.
- Developing methods for determining the changes in the reactivity and strength of the blast furnace coke.
- Constructing a matehmatical model to determine the metallurgical value of balst furnace coke.
- Specifying the optimal parameters of the furnace coke production in the Coking plant of DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd. for the utilization in the local blast furnace plant.
- Investigations for the determination of the optimal amount of natural gas usage in the blast furnace plant of DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- Limits and results of natural gas injection and the possibilities of coal powder injection in the blast furnace plant of ISD DUNAFERR Ltd.
- Review of the charger system of the blast furnace plant in ISD DUNAFERR Ltd.
- Theoretical and practical determination of the optimal jet size of no. 1. blast furnace in the ISD DUNAFERR Ltd.
- Elaboration and determination of calculating the bottom wearing in blast furnaces.
- Relationships between the fluctuations in the charge materials’ chemical and physical properties and the quailty changes of pig iron in the blast furnace plant of DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- Practical presentation of the Correspondence of parameters affecting pig iron production.
- Furnace run optimalization – especially in regard to the natural gas consumption in the blast furnaces of DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- Investigation of blast furnaces working with pellets only.
- Evalutation of the metallurgical work of no. 2. blast furnace in DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- Optimalization of the correspondence between the Si-content of pig iron and the temperature of the melt in the pig iron production system of DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- Casemap of low Si-content (0,2-0,4%) pig iron production taking into account the technological properties of DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- Determining the heat transfer coeffitient of liquid pig iron as a function of temperature change.
- Roles of secondary metallurgy taking into account the technological properties and the product palette of DUNAFERR STEELWORKS Ltd.
- Decreasing the inclusion content of Al-dezoxidised steels.
- Refinement of dezoxidizing steps in a function of solved Al-content.
- Analysis of secondary metallurgical processes taking place prior to the secondary metallurgical treatments in order to improve the product palette.
- Investigation of the effects of secondary metallurgical treatments avoiding heating and vaccum generation in order improve the product palette.
- Troubleshooting nozzle cloggin of Si-free, Al-dezoxidized steels.
- Improving the production technology of Si-free, Al-dezoxidized steels.
- Development of an effective and profitable way of treating slags of secondary metallurgy by utilizing drosses of Al-metallurgy.
- Improving the production technology of Si-free, Al-dezoxidized steels by increasing the efficiency of Ar-flushing.
- Installation of an inspection method for determining the cleanness of steel melts in order to avoid errors arising from inclusion content.
- Improving the technology of continuous casting and the quality control at the ISD DUNAFERR Ltd.
- Analisys of reoxidation sources from skimming to the end of casting.
6 PhD students have studied from the upper topics, 4 metallurgical engineer PhD student (Gyula Jánosfy, Károly Zoltán, Andrea Szabó, Béla Harcsik) earned PhD title.
Titles of the 4 dissertation:
Zoltán Károly: Quality Control aspects of Si-free, Al-dezoxidized steels during secondary metallurgy treatments,1996.
Gyula Jánosfy: Regulation of metallic Al content and oxigen content in Al-dezoxidized, low Si containing mild steels, 1997.
Andrea Szabó: Purity improvement of low Si containing Al-dezoxidized steel with optimized Ar-flushing, 2009.
Béla Harcsik: Decreasing of nozzle clogging at the continuous casting of cold rolled steels with secondary metallurgical methods not providing heating, 2011
Works for ÓAM Ltd.
Realizing CLEAN BED slag treatment technology at Max Aicher company.
The detailed closing report is available here.
Works for the steelworks of Diósgyőr
- Widening the palette of boron-alloyed steels, improvement of production safety,
- expanding the application of the product.
- Verifying the dezoxidation method by measuring the active oxygen content
- Quality and product structure improvement at the continuous casting machine of
- the combined steelworks. A study for DIMAG Ltd.
- Improving the production of roller-bearing steels and its quality assurance
- system according to the demands of Common Market.
- Assessing the impact of charge supply on the UHP furnace runs at Diósgyőr
- Influencing the effects in continuous casting caused by using only scraps.
- Analyzing the impacts of charge supply to the UHP furnace runs of Diósgyőr.
- Modifying secondary metallurgy and continuous casting in order to produce steels
- which difficult to cast continuously.
- Improving the the production technology of roller-bearing steels to finish the process without reheating.
- Further improvement the safety of boron alloyed steel production and its comformance.
- Utilization of aluminum foundry slags in iron metallurgy.
Construction of digital study materials
Books and notes in fields of steel metallugy (iron metallurgy, steel production, rolling, surface treatment) and its relevant chemical metallurgy have been made in this project. In addition to this, the first Hungarian book of Archeometallurgy was written and also the adaptation of the materials of Steel University. The work was done in 24 moths.
You can see a detailed report here. (in Hungarian)
Research works of surface technologies
- Knorr Bremse: salt spray cabinet tests / corrosion tests on various products, (mainly galvanic parts), coating thickness measurements, error analysis, technical consultancy.
- Oerlikon Balzers: GD-OES analysis of PVD / CVD coatings, technical and technological advice.
- Green Solar: GD-OES analysis of Photovoltaic Coating Systems.
- Industrial Technique (Atlas Copco): salt spray cabinet tests of galvanized parts, measurement of coating thickness, technical consultancy.
- NAGÉV Cink: technological development hot-dip galvanized products.
- Tobizo Ltd / Lampart Chemical Equipment Factory: GD-OES analysis of enameled samples.
- Infineon Technologies Cegléd / Infineon Technologies Bipolar: GD-OES analysis of galvan-coated samples, technical consultancy.
- ArcelorMittal Szentgotthárd: laboratory tests to support for supporting the technology development and optimization of electroplating steel wires from pyrophosphate solutions with copper and zinc.
- DKG-East: GD-OES analysis of nickel-phosphorus coatings made with contact reduction, failure analysis.
Researches of Foundry Engineering
The Department of Foundry Engineering is in connection with its industry. Cooperation agreements have been made in 2009-2011. Our main supporter is the Association of Hungarian Foundries.
You can check our activities hereunder. (in Hungarian)